Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Serendipity Coaster Challenge

Good morning! I am here today to bring you this week's Serendipity Stamps DT challenge. This week we were challenged to create a tile coaster. Have you ever made these coasters before? They are fun and easy!

So let's see a show of hands - who has a Dad, brother, husband that is hard to shop for? Yeah, me too. Well here's a gift idea for you!


Aren't these great? I used the Train Engine Large and Train on Track stamps from Serendipity to make these coasters.

The coasters are available at any big box home store, they are usually sold in a package of 9 (a square foot) for around $5. I have made these in the past and used a variety of mediums to color them. For this one, I stamped the images in Jet Black Archival Ink from Ranger and then colored the images with markers. After a clear coat of spray paint, I have never had any problems using markers or water-based ink. StazOn and Palette inks also work well. I hear Copics work well too, but you have to be careful the coaster doesn't suck all the ink from your marker. I like to finish the coasters off with felt pads on the bottom.

Package a few up together and you have an easy, great gift! I hope you will give them a try.

I'm so glad you stopped by today, please be sure to visit the other Design Team members to see their take on the challenge!


Also, don't forget to check the current contests on the Serendipity Stamps Blog and take some time to sign up for the newsletter (and sale announcements)!

Have a great day!

Anya

Recipe
Stamps:
Train Engine Large (1217J), Train on Track (1239G) - Serendipity Stamps
Ink: Jet Black Archival Ink - Ranger Industries
Other: Stampin' Write Markers - Stampin' Up!; Clear Spray Paint - Krylon; Tile Coasters

6 comments:

  1. What a great set.. my grandfather would love them!

    And thanks for the tip on the spray paint. And next time I'll skip the chalks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are awesome Anya! When I went in to link the stamp I used, I saw the train and thought, dang, I should have used that, it would be perfect!! It is perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anya, these are just perfect for those tough to buy guy gifts. Beautiful job with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning coasters Anya! Love the Vintage train images and you did a fabulous job coloring them! I have a box of tile coasters in my closet, just waiting to be shown some love! Thanks for the inspiration! Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by - I love to hear from you!